by Carol Fertig
It’s that time of year again to begin planning for summer experiences for your gifted students. For some, that may mean lots of free time at home to play, read, relax, and let minds wander. Others may benefit from a specialized experience at a day camp or an experience far from home. Here are some suggestions for places to begin your search if you’re looking for something outside the home. (Note: These are not program endorsements. You will want to do your own investigations of programs to make certain they fit your needs.)
Here are some searchable databases where you can begin to look.
- Cogito—Extensive list that is searchable by grade level, location, residential/commuter, eligibility, and program scope.
- Hoagie’s Gifted Education Page —Programs listed by country and by state.
- Imagine Magazine—Includes Talent Search summer programs, university sponsored programs, and directories and links to other programs.
- Institute for Educational Advancement (IEA)—Searchable by content, credit offered, grade level/age, and location.
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)—Search by keyword and by state.