by Rachel Taliaferro
School Library Journal has its second Diversity Issue out this month, and its features cover a wide range of relevant topics to help guide teachers and librarians in fostering open and accepting environments for all students. The articles provide in-depth insight and analysis on why welcoming and embracing diversity has been such a struggle for many schools and what teachers can do now to ameliorate the problem. Some interesting pieces that are well worth reading include:
- SisOps: Girl-Friendly Tech Programs,
- Everyday Diversity: A Teacher Librarian Offers Practical Tips to Make a Difference,
- The Multiracial Population Is Growing, But Kid Lit Isn't Keeping Up,
- The Publishing Perspective on Diversity,
- LGBTQ & You: How to Support Your Students, and
- Culturally Diverse Books Selected by SLJ's Review Editors.